Getting help from the Representative for Children and Youth

The Representative for Children and Youth (the representative) was set up to protect children and youth in BC. The representative:

  • helps children, youth, and families deal with the child welfare system, and
  • advocates for (supports and encourages) changes to the actual system.

It's not part of the Ministry of Children and Family Development.

The representative helps families by:

  • giving them information
  • helping them prepare to speak on their own behalf
  • finding an advocate to help them

The representative independently reviews and investigates deaths and serious injuries of children and youth who're getting services. It also reports on the child welfare system and how to improve it.

The representative serves all BC children and youth from birth to age 19, especially those who're in government care (foster homes, group homes, or youth custody) who face greater challenges than other children and youth.

See the Representative for Children and Youth website to find out more about what they do and how they can help.

Updated on 31 May 2019