I've been served with a court form

There's a guide for that!

Buck learns about online help for responding to a family court form in our illustrated story, There's a guide for that!

Illustration to introduce story

Sometimes a legal process requires that documents be served. This means that one party in the case must provide document(s) to the other party.

If you've had documents served on you, it's likely you're now the respondent in a family law case started by your ex-spouse. This case will usually mean the other person wants to:

  • change or enforce an existing order or agreement,
  • get a new final order, or
  • get an interim (temporary) order until a final order can be made.

We have step-by-step guides to help you figure out what to do next.

If you don't respond, a judge could end up making decisions without considering your wishes or needs. If you're not sure what's in your best interests, you should get help from a lawyer.

Is your form from Provincial or Supreme Court?

Have a look at the forms you received, and see if Provincial Court or Supreme Court are mentioned on them. Then choose the correct option below.