Court orders

A court order is a type of ruling that a judge makes. It sets out what you or the other party in your case must do or not do. An order is usually made after a trial or hearing if you and the other person can't agree on an issue.

If you and the other person agree on what you want the order to say, you can ask a judge for a consent order. Or you can make a separation agreement.

Final and interim court orders

Court orders can be final or interim (temporary). A final order is usually made after a trial, but it can take a long time to get one. Many people apply in Provincial Court or Supreme Court for interim orders while they wait for their final order.

A divorce order is also a final court order (see Getting a divorce for more information about divorce orders).

If the other person doesn't respond to your application for an order

The steps you can follow if the other person in your case doesn't respond to your application to get or change an order.

Orders in BC

Get an order

Apply to the court to get a new court order.

Change an order or set aside an agreement

Apply to the court to:

  • change an order, or
  • get an order to replace all or part of a separation agreement.

Enforce an order or agreement

Apply to the court for an order to enforce an existing order or filed agreement.

Write an order

Resources to help you write a court order made in Provincial or Supreme Court.

Can you appeal an order?

If you think there's been a mistake or misunderstanding, you can try to appeal an order. But it's difficult and there are time limits. Find out more about appealing court orders.

Orders outside BC

When more than one province or country is involved

Our guides are based on BC law. There might be different rules or processes if:

  • you had an order or agreement in BC but now live in a different province or country, or
  • you have an order or agreement made in another province or country but now live in BC.