Separation & Divorce

Separating from your partner means you no longer share a life together. You don't need to sign a document or go to court to separate.

Legal Aid BC has limited representation services for family law issues to help people who wouldn't normally qualify for a legal aid lawyer. Lawyers give clients the help they need to prepare for mediation, negotiate a settlement, or represent themselves in court. These contracts don't include divorce. Call Legal Aid BC to find out if you qualify.

Separation ends a common-law relationship. But if you're married, separation is only the first step.

The only way to legally end your marriage in BC is by getting a divorce order from a judge.