Enforce an order or agreement made in BC

You can ask the court to enforce a parenting agreement or order if the other parent isn't following the agreement or order. For example:

  • if they don't show up or aren't available to care for your child, or
  • if they refuse to let you spend time with your child.

The court might also take certain steps against the other person. See What happens if you don't follow a parenting or support agreement or order? for more about this.

About these guides

These step-by-step guides will help you apply to the court for an enforcement order. Both guides include:

  • a list of steps explaining what to do, and
  • links to the court forms you'll need.

Are these guides for you?

Support orders and agreements

You can use these guides to enforce orders or agreements about child or spousal support but you might want to enroll in the BC Family Maintenance Agency (BCFMA) instead. This free provincial government program tracks support arrangements and helps people to collect their payments.

Parenting agreements in Supreme Court

You can use the Supreme Court guide (below) to enforce an agreement about:

  • parenting coordinators
  • parenting arrangements
  • contact
  • child support
  • spousal support

You can’t use the Supreme Court guide below to enforce the part of an agreement that's about dividing property and/or debt. For that, you have to fill out and file a Notice of Family Claim (Form F3). See our step-by step guide Start a family law case to get a new order in Supreme Court.

Orders and agreements made outside BC

These guides are only for orders and agreements in BC. See When more than one province or country is involved.

Your agreement must be filed

You can only apply to enforce a filed agreement. If your agreement hasn't been filed, see:

If you have an order, it will already be filed with the court.

Provincial Court or Supreme Court?

If you're not sure which court you want to go to, see Do you need to go to Provincial (Family) Court or Supreme Court? People usually apply to enforce their orders in the same court where the order is filed, but you can also enforce a Supreme Court order in Provincial Court. Get legal help to find out more about when you can do this.

Choose either the Provincial Court guide or Supreme Court guide below.

Provincial Court

I want to apply to enforce an order or agreement filed in Provincial Court.

Provincial Court guide

Supreme Court

I want to apply to enforce an order or agreement filed in Supreme Court.

Supreme Court guide