Family justice counsellors

Family justice counsellors provide a variety of free services, including mediation, for families experiencing separation and divorce. Family justice counsellors are employed by the Attorney General and work in Justice Access Centres and Family Justice Centres throughout the province. Family justice counsellors and other staff in the centres offer a range of services, including:

  • information and education,
  • mediation and shuttle mediation,
  • help with the court process, and
  • development of parenting agreements and consent orders.

Family justice counsellors aren't lawyers and they don't act for you. They can't help you get a divorce or with mediation for property or asset/debt division. They work with both spouses or parents to try to resolve the matter at hand.

In some communities, the Provincial Court is "designated" under Provincial Court (Family) Rule 5 to promote settling issues outside the courtroom. Couples who separate in these communities must meet with a family justice counsellor before registry staff will set a first appearance date for their cases.

To contact a family justice counsellor, call Service BC at:

  • 604-660-2421 (Greater Vancouver),
  • 250-387-6121 (Victoria), or
  • 1-800-663-7867 (no charge, elsewhere in BC).

Ask to transfer to a family justice counsellor near you. You don't need to pay for the call.

For more information, see Family Justice Counsellors in Family Justice Centres in the Family Justice section of the Attorney General website.