Contact with a child

Some terms in the Divorce Act changed on March 1, 2021

Effective March 1, 2021, the federal Divorce Act uses terms similar to those in the BC Family Law Act.

  • The terms decision-making responsibility and parenting time replace "custody."
  • The terms contact and parenting time replace "access."

The time that a child spends with grandparents, aunts, uncles, and others is called contact. Both the federal Divorce Act and the BC Family Law Act use this term. So it’s important to know which law applies in your situation. 

Contact: Spending time with a child

Learn about your rights and how to apply for contact with a child. You can also learn how to apply to limit a person’s contact with a child. 

Do children have a right to time with their grandparents?

Separation can be hard on other relatives, too. But children have the right to spend time with their grandparents if it's in their best interests. Find out more about the rights of children and grandparents and what to do if you're not being allowed contact.