How long can you stay in a safe home or transition house?

Safe homes and transition houses provide temporary housing in a protected, secure environment. They're usually for women who're leaving abusive relationships. Their children can also stay there with them. You can usually stay at a safe home or transition house for up to 30 days.

Updated on 25 July 2019

More abuse & family violence questions

Court-related abuse and harassment happens when one person (the law calls them a party in a family law action uses the legal system or repeated or ongoing legal actions to harass and abuse the other person. See If your spouse is harassing you through the courts for more detail about this.

If you're in this situation, you might be able to get free legal help. See Serious family problems and Tips about getting legal help to find out more about this.

The BC Housing website has a list of contacts for safe homes and transition houses throughout BC. Usually the addresses aren't given out to the general public. This is to protect the people who use them.

Tell your employment assistance worker or family maintenance worker if you're concerned about a violent spouse. The Ministry of Human Resources has a policy that it won't apply for support from your spouse against your wishes if you or your children are in danger of violence from your spouse.

Also, talk to an advocate before you go to the interview. To find an advocate in your community, see the Map of Advocates on the PovNet website.

You or your wife could contact police about getting a peace bond, based on incidents of abuse you've experienced. You could also help her apply for a protection order in family court. For more information, see the booklet For Your Protection: Peace Bonds and Family Law Protection Orders.

Another resource is VictimLink BC, which you can call at 1-800-563-0808 (no charge) to find out about local victim service providers.