You can apply for legal aid:
- over the phone through the province-wide Call Centre, or
- in person through your nearest location.
All callers have an initial interview in which our staff ask questions to determine eligibility for our services. To find out what information you'll need to provide when applying for legal aid, see How to apply.
- 604-408-2172 (Greater Vancouver)
- 1-866-577-2525 (elsewhere in BC)
Hours (Pacific Time)
- Mon, Tue, Thu, and Fri — 9 am to 4 pm
- Wed — 9 am to 2:30 pm
You might be referred to a legal navigator if you have a family law issue and:
- want information about separation, or
- want a divorce and don't qualify for legal representation or advice services.
Need help in another language?
Our services are provided in English. If you can't communicate with our staff in English and can't call with someone who can interpret for you, we can arrange for an interpreter.
When you phone the call centre, you will first hear a recorded legal aid welcome message. You can also access the recorded message in six languages:
- Punjabi, and
The messages explain that if you need services in languages other than English, you should tell the staff person who answers what language you speak so they can arrange immediate access to a telephone interpreter. Interpreters are available for more than 100 languages.