Family advice lawyers

If you're a parent with a low income experiencing separation or divorce, you may be eligible for up to three hours of free legal advice from a family advice lawyer (a lawyer who provides advice).

Family advice lawyers can provide advice about:

  • parenting,
  • child support,
  • property (limited),
  • tentative settlement agreements, and
  • court procedures.

You may be able to get help even if you don't qualify for a legal aid lawyer. See Do I qualify? on the Legal Aid BC website.

Where can I find family advice lawyers?

These lawyers are available at:

Services are available by referral from a family justice counsellor or a child support officer.

For more information:

  • Call Service BC and ask to be connected to the appropriate office. Service BC's phone numbers are:
    • 604-660-2421 (Greater Vancouver)
    • 250-387-6121 (Victoria)
    • 1-800-663-7867 (elsewhere in BC)
  • Call the local court registry if you live in the following cities:
    • Kamloops: 250-828-4344
    • Prince George: 250-614-2700
    • Surrey: 604-572-2200