If you're a parent with a low income experiencing separation or divorce, you may be eligible for up to three hours of free legal advice from a family advice lawyer (a lawyer who provides advice).
Family advice lawyers can provide advice about:
- child support,
- property (limited),
- tentative settlement agreements, and
- court procedures.
You may be able to get help even if you don't qualify for a legal aid lawyer. See Do I qualify? on the Legal Aid BC website.
Where can I find family advice lawyers?
These lawyers are available at:
- the Vancouver Justice Access Centre
- the Nanaimo Justice Access Centre
- the Victoria Justice Access Centre
- the Family Justice Centres in Kelowna and New Westminster
- at courthouses in Kamloops, Prince George, and Surrey
Services are available by referral from a family justice counsellor or a child support officer.
For more information:
- Call Service BC and ask to be connected to the appropriate office. Service BC's phone numbers are:
- 604-660-2421 (Greater Vancouver)
- 250-387-6121 (Victoria)
- 1-800-663-7867 (elsewhere in BC)
- Call the local court registry if you live in the following cities:
- Kamloops: 250-828-4344
- Prince George: 250-614-2700
- Surrey: 604-572-2200