Q&A — Support

COVID-19 Info Q&A Support
Please see COVID-19 updates - finances and support for more help.
The date of the most recent update is shown in [square brackets].  

The COVID-19 pandemic has led to financial hardship for many families. The person who is supposed to be paying you may have lost their job.

If they approach you to reduce support, try to work out something temporarily, if you can. You both may be in difficult financial circumstances, but try to explain if you need money for your or your children’s basic needs.

If you’ve tried to work things out with the other person but you still aren't being paid support, consider enrolling with the BC Family Maintenance Enforcement Program (FMEP).

If you’re enrolled with FMEP, your case manager will be monitoring the regular maintenance and will try to ensure you get regular payments. You don’t need to contact the case manager. If you have an agreement to temporarily reduce support with the other person, you should sign into your web account and send a web e-message explaining your situation.

See COVID-19 updates - finances and support and If you're struggling to pay support for more information.

Agreements and court orders about child and spousal support still apply during the pandemic, and do not automatically change or pause. If support payments stop or are reduced, the amount owing will keep adding up until the agreement or court order changes. If you are unable to pay the full amount of support, pay whatever you can.

If you’re enrolled with BC’s Family Maintenance Enforcement Program (FMEP), contact your Enforcement Officer as soon as possible to talk about alternative payment options. Keep up to date about FMEP by reading its What's New page.

If you need to change an existing agreement or order due to COVID-19, call 1-844-747-3963 to set up a meeting with a Family Justice Counsellor or Child Support Officer who provide free help. If you and the other party agree on updating support, an agreement or consent order may be written. If you don’t agree, you may need to go to court where a judge will decide.

For more help, call Service BC at 1-800-663-7867 and ask the operator to transfer you to the Family Justice Centre or Justice Access Centre nearest you.

Source: BC Government website.

See If you're struggling to pay support for more information about child support issues.

If you want changes to child or spousal support for reasons not related to COVID-19, you must apply through your local Provincial Court registry. You can also get a free professional mediator to help you and the other parent. Learn more about this online service and other dispute resolution services on MyLawBC.

Don't see your question here? Email us.

Page last updated: February 3, 2022


This 7-minute video is for people wondering if they should go to court during COVID-19. Includes information about child support.
Family Limited Representation Services during COVID-19

Contact Legal Aid BC to find out if you qualify for limited legal advice and coaching for your child and spousal support issues.