Q&A — Separation and divorce

COVID-19 Info Q&A Separation
COVID-19 has led to changes in BC's legal system. Please see our new COVID-19 updates section for detailed information. 
The date of the most recent update on a subject is shown in [square brackets].  

Yes, you can. Either of you can write an agreement, or you can write it together. Both of you must sign the agreement when it’s completed.

Please see COVID-19 updates - separation and divorce for more information.


Yes, you can apply for a divorce in BC Supreme Court. Courts are open and many services and activities have resumed.

If possible, file your Provincial Court documents through Court Services Online, by mail, email, or by fax in fax filing registries (PDF). If you can’t file by one of these methods, you can file documents in person.

Please see Supreme Court during COVID-19 for more information about Court operations and mandatory health and safety practices.

Please see COVID-19 updates - separation and divorce for more information about divorce, including doing your own uncontested divorce.

Don't see your question here? Email us.

Page last updated: January 31, 2022

Support makes a difference

Separation can be difficult, confusing, and stressful. It’s a good idea to have support as you go through it.

If you can, ask your family and friends for support. You might also be able to get support from a counsellor, therapist, legal advisor, clergy person, or support group.

COVID-19 makes getting support a little more complicated, but support is still available.

Knowledge is power

The more you know about your legal situation, the better prepared you will be. Knowing what is required, what the law says, and how the process works can reduce your stress and make you feel more confident.