Your Family's Rights
This easy-to-understand, illustrated booklet explains the child protection process for Aboriginal children and families, including:
- what you and your community can do if the Ministry of Children and Family Development or a delegated Aboriginal agency removes (takes) your child from your home
- how delegated Aboriginal agencies work
- how mediation can help you stay out of court
- what's involved in the court process
- how the Extended Family Program can help you take care of your child
It also includes a flow chart of the process for child protection cases that involve Aboriginal children, and a page to write the important details of your child protection case.
Keeping Aboriginal Kids Safe replaces the Aboriginal Child Protection fact sheets.
Find out more about Aboriginal legal rights in BC on the Aboriginal Legal Aid in BC website.
April 1, 2020: Child Protection Mediation Program
Mediate BC now manages the Child Protection Mediation Program (CPMP), which the BC government previously managed. See the Mediate BC website for information about the program.